Picture yourself staying in a cozy bed and breakfast surrounded by nature, breathing in the fresh air, and being embraced by the soothing sound of birdsong. But, this isn’t just any regular bed and breakfast – it’s an eco-friendly one! Eco-friendly B&B stays are a great option for those who want to make sustainable travel choices. Through a few small changes, you can contribute to environmental conservation and have a relaxing getaway!
1. Nurture the Planet with Eco-Friendly B&B Getaways
Traveling is a great way to explore the world and make memories, but it can also have a detrimental effect on the planet if done incorrectly. Investing in eco-friendly B&B getaways is one way to reduce your carbon footprint and nurture the planet at the same time.
Considering the Local Environment
Consider local suppliers and products that have minimal impact on the environment. From towels and soap to food and olive oil, you can usually find a source that is close by and supports local producers.
Reduce Plastic Use
It’s no secret that plastic is a major inconvenience and hazard to the planet. Reduce your stay’s plastic use by providing guests with reusable glass bottles, water filters instead of single use plastic packages, use natural and biodegradable materials in the kitchen, and avoid using plastic cutlery and straws.
Minimize Carbon Footprint
Choose an eco-friendly B&B destination close to an airport or train station. This will drastically reduce your own carbon footprint as well as your guests. When booking flights, select the most fuel-efficient route.
Benefit the environment further and give guests a pleasant surprise by planting a tree in the area surrounding the B&B. Plant trees with the help of a tree-planting organization to ensure that your funds will be used for reforestation projects.
Choose Energy Efficient Features
Make your B&B eco-friendly by investing in energy efficient features, such as:
- LED light bulbs
- Solar panels
- Heat pumps
- Rainwater collection systems
By investing in these energy-saving amenities, your B&B will be considered energy efficient and environmentally-friendly, and you’ll be doing your part to conserve natural resources.
2. Get Up Close and Personal with Nature Through Sustainable Travel
Enjoying the beauty of nature locally can be as easy as going for a walk in the park or a hike in the woods. It’s even easier when you plan a sustainable vacation away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Here are a few tips on how to :
Choose your Destination Carefully
- Look for accommodations powered by renewable energy sources.
- Choose destinations with protected wildlife corridors and green-friendly activities.
- Investigate tour companies offering ecologically-sensitive activities.
- Do some research and find out what environmental initiatives are active in a particular destination.
Pack Eco-friendly Supplies
- Look for re-usable containers, bags, and other supplies made with recycled materials.
- Bring biodegradable, eco-friendly soaps and detergents.
- Choose natural and organic personal and beauty supplies for your travels.
- Opt for a solar-powered phone charger or plug extension to reduce energy consumption.
Take Action to Respect the Land
- Support local community projects, including assisting in the preservation and reconstruction of natural structures, such as coral reefs.
- Be conscious of the effect you have on the environment.
- Pick up litter and refuse that has been left behind and place it in the appropriate waste bins.
- Be considerate of the wildlife and plant life in the area.
- Always follow the Leave No Trace Ethics.
Support Sustainable Travel
- Book with tour operators/agents who promote sustainable practice such as through a certification scheme.
- Offer your skills and volunteer opportunities.
- Educate tourists about sustainable travel habits.
- Share positive knowledge & experiences about sustainable tourism initiatives.
With these tips, you can get closer to nature through sustainable travel. You’ll help to conserve our planet while also experiencing some truly outstanding views.
3. Boost Your Sustainability Credentials with Green B&B Choices
The growing trend of sustainable living has also had an effect on the hospitality industry. More travelers than ever before are choosing to stay green when on vacation. No matter where you plan to stay, you can use a few simple strategies to help make eco-friendly decisions when booking your bed and breakfast.
1. Consider a Solar-Powered System Solar energy has been an increasingly popular option for resorts and bed and breakfasts, particularly in regions with plenty of sun. Solar power can effectively offset a portion of your carbon footprint as well as provide a clean, renewable option for powering items such as lights and appliances.
2. Look For Local, Sustainable Food Options When staying in a bed and breakfast, you may have the opportunity to sample some of the region’s traditional and local dishes. Look for bed and breakfasts that feature local, sustainable foods and ingredients grown or raised within the area using eco-friendly farming practices.
3. Choose a Green Certified B&B Green certification is a strong indicator that the bed and breakfast is using sustainable business practices. This could include everything from energy-efficient lighting systems to solar energy to eco-friendly laundry processes. Many local and state tourism boards certify B&Bs to assist guests in making their decision.
4. Recycle and Reuse B&B’s often aim to make a significant effort towards sustainability including offering recycled and reused products for their guests. This could include using refillable coffee containers, eco-friendly cleaning agents, and more. Look for bed and breakfasts that are committed to reducing waste.
5. Choose an Eco-Friendly Mode of Transportation Wherever you’re traveling, consider using public transportation, biking, or any other eco-friendly mode of transportation to get around. This can offset the environmental impact of your travels. If available, some bed and breakfasts may even offer complimentary bike rentals to explore the area.
By using the above strategies, travelers can stay in a bed and breakfast and still live sustainably. It’s possible to have a green vacation and still have an enjoyable time in a comfortable, eco-friendly setting.
4. Making a Positive Impact – Responsible, Eco-Friendly Accommodation
Being an ethical traveller does not stop at being an informed consumer.
Conserve resources wherever possible: Establishments that run responsibly are acutely aware of their reliance on natural resources. When booking your accommodation, check for any eco-friendly initiatives they might have from installing LED lights to support organic farming in the area. This is also a great time to ask them of any additional steps they might have taken towards environmental sustainability.
Support local: Show your appreciation for local business by booking with smaller businesses such as guesthouses, B&B’s and locally-owned hotels. Choosing this kind of accommodation can be beneficial for the local economy and help give back to the people living in these wonderful places you plan to explore.
Give back: You can ensure you giving back to the community with a few simple steps. Get to know who you are staying with and search out ways to show your appreciation, be that taking the time to learn a few words of the local language or participating in local activities.
Travel green: Think about adding a new dimension to your experience by choosing sustainable transport. Opt for public transport, carpool with other travellers or rent a bicycle in some locations. Such forms of transport don’t just reduce your individual carbon footprint, but can also be a great way to meet locals and get tips about the area!
Ultimately, when it comes to responsible, eco-friendly travel, the golden rule is to take a proactive stance and make a positive impact. So next time you book accommodation, consider these tips and contribute to creating a sustainable travel future.
So while you’re planning your next eco-friendly travel adventure, weight the options of a B&B stay and discover all the possibilities of a sustainable hotel. Not only are you giving back to the environment, you’ll be able to escape to an extraordinary world of comfort and convenience. Now that’s what we call a win-win.